Search engine optimization is a complex and research-based process. It requires a great deal of dedication and constant effort. Creating the right website is a prerequisite for the success of any optimization campaign. Some of the important tips in this regard were discussed in the article titled 'Structure your Website to foster SEO – Part I'.
The following points will further strengthen your campaign and produce desired results:
1) If you are making pages in two different formats, like HTML and PDF versions of the same content, there is a strong likelihood that both these files will be indexed by the search engine. In such a case, it is advisable to have all the PDF web pages piled up in a robots.txt file and placed in the root directory. This kind of file specifies to the search engine that it is not up for crawling. In this manner, you can have both versions on your site and even prevent being blacklisted because of duplicate content.
2) When you make folders and place files in them, try not to nest your web pages too deeply in the website. When a search engine spider starts crawling a website, it starts with the homepage and then goes on to subsequent links mentioned therein. These spiders are known to give more importance to files placed close to the root folder of your server. In fact, search engines like Google do not like to index pages that are more than three folder levels deep. As far as SEO service providers are concerned, the ideal location of a web page is just one folder level deeper than the main server.
3) If you have a large website, there are chances that many of your pages will not be indexed in the first round of crawling. To avoid this situation, minimise the coding of your web pages, and keep them clean and easily accessible. This also helps in reducing the download time of these pages.
4) If your website has dynamic pages, make sure they don't have more than two parameters in their URLs. Such pages can be identified by a '?' in the URLs. Also, most search engines do not follow links that have session IDs embedded in them.
5) For better SEO, sprinkle keywords when naming your files and folders. Separate each word with a hyphen and avoid using more than two hyphens in one file name.
The search engine and common users identify your business only through your website. In the virtual medium, it is the face of your online marketing campaign. If you are able to drive search engines by creating an appealing website, there are chances that you will be noticed by users as well.
Aisha Danna is a search engine optimization expert, working on both off-page and on page Optimization. Her extensive knowledge of link building and article submissions has boosted search engine rankings of numerous websites. She is currently working with ePurple Media as an SEO expert.